Happy Pi Day 2013!
To celebrate our favourite day of the year, I thought I would write a post about the history of Pi Day! After a quick Wikipedia search, here is what I have found:
Fun Facts About Pi Day!
1. Pi Day is celebrated on March 14 (3/14 in month/date format) as 3, 1, 4 are the most important digits of Pi in decimal form.
2. Pi Day was first officially celebrated by Larry Shaw in 1988 at the San Francisco Exploratorium.
3. MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) mails their acceptance letters to prospective students on March 14th to celebrate Pi Day. Good luck to all 2013 applicants/geniuses!
4. March 14th is also Albert Einsteins Birthday.
5. A common way to celebrate Pi Day is to literally eat pie or pastries. (Although some mathematicians do not support this)
6. To celebrate Pi Day in Vancouver, come to Pi Theatre's production of Terminus by Mark O'Rowe! The show is tonight at 8pm at Performance Works on Granville Island. Yes, we'll allow pie in the theatre.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news, updates and exclusive offers. You can unsubscribe at anytime.